- Sleeping policemen = speed bumps
- Cheeky = to be disrespectful/have a facetious attitude (generally refers to children)
- Donkey's Years = ages as in "I haven't seen you in ages!"
- Wind up = to make fun of or tease
- Quid = money term that is equivalent to bucks in America
- Nick = to steal
- Mate = friend
- Hiya! = Hello there!
- Cheers = Thank you
- Telly - television
- Rubbish - trash
We have learned many British expressions and slang in the last month. As you can imagine, there have been many times of confusion and misunderstanding due to these differences. It's been such a blast picking up on these little things! Here are a few we've learned: